Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Save the Thimble!


Finger Saver 9000 by Laura Wasilowski
I am a big fan of the tools of our trade. Give me a pair of scissors, a needle, thread, fabric, and a comfy thimble and I'm happy for hours. And now I have discovered that one of my favorite tools, the thimble, is an endangered species! We must save the thimble!
Turns out that Monopoly is going to retire the thimble as a token for their game. Now, I have never won a Monopoly game in my life but I do enjoy racing around the board game with a thimble and losing gracefully. 

Fortunately, Susan Brubaker Knapp and the International Quilt Association  are trying to save the thimble. If you are on Facebook, you can vote (before Feb. 6) to save the Monopoly game thimble. Vote here: https://apps.facebook.com/saveyourtoken/.  And you can also support the IQA. 

Susan has created the Save the Thimble logo (above) for the International Quilt Association. If you purchase items with the logo from Cafe Press, a portion of the proceeds go to the IQA. So to save the thimble and support the International Quilt Association! Visit here:http://www.cafepress.com/dd/75759578

And if Monopoly does not reinstate the thimble I shall try to lose gracefully.

6 comments:

Gene Black said...

I voted to save the thimble

Jessim said...

Based on the "leaderboard" the iron is in more trouble than the thimble. I'd be worried about that one too! I've never used a thimble before (when I was a kid I thought they went on your thumb and it didn't make sense.)

But at least right now, it looks like the wheelbarrow is going to take the hit.

Beth said...

I voted to save the thimble.

Laura Wasilowski said...

Good heavens! It appears the iron is in trouble too! What is this attack on handwork? Where is it coming from?

Lisa Quintana said...

I just about choked when KathyLee Gifford and Hoda Kotb were talking about this when it first came out...and Hoda said "who even uses a thimble these days anyway?" Who wears top hats? I would wager more thimbles are worn than top hats.

Of course she has also made many other uninformed statements I have had issue with in the past....

All thimblewearers, unite! Let's thump those unaware cretins on the head!

WoolenSails said...

What they need to do is package up the pieces so we can buy the ones we like, lol.

Debbie